I then changed the search again to look for ‘Medieval Red Queen’ and received a lot of the same links and photos but one that had a new twist. There is a brand of lipstick named ‘Lipstick Queen’ with a shade called ‘Medieval Red’…go figure?
Hand dyed linen
This fabric looks the most authentic and was purchased from another member of BSK from her stash. It is a slightly washed out warm red that could have been dyed with madder root . I plan to use gores and underarm inserts so that it can have a closer fit in the upper part of the body and flare out at the bottom and will have long, closely fitted at wrist sleeves. This piece I will sew by hand.
This piece I purchased at a local fabric store. It is dyed a deeper and cooler red color. After I got it home, I was a bit disappointed with the color. However, I think it will add a neat contrast to show different variations of red and feel you would be able to get this color.
I believe I purchased this at a local fabric store but I know I have had it for many years. It is a brighter red/red color and will add a contrast to the other two layers. I am using the pattern based on . I have sewn the first of the seams and gores on the machine but will do the embellishing and topstitching by hand. I may be able to wear this with some of my other garb but I will always know it is not technically accurate. I plan to make it shorter than I normally would just so it will show more of the layers underneath. It will also have decorative stitching as embellishment.
I have a fine red wool piece left over from another project that I will make a headcovering with probably based on the Jorvik cap and will make the forecloth from this if I have time. The forecloth will also be embellished and decorated and that is what I may not have the time to do.
Essentially have finished my project...unfortunately I have not connected up with someone to photograph me wearing it (Dang Overnight Shifts!!!) so I will just add what I have.
I made a few adjustments in my original plan...
I am using my basic white underdress/shift instead of the red linen for a couple of reasons...
- I decided to save the red linen for my original "Lady in Red" plan for spring.
- Historically white linen was used as the shift as it would be easier to clean and bleach out after absorbing body oils and dirt from wearing next to the sky...don't waste good dye!
Coif of fine red wool with silk and perle cotton thread decorative stitches.
Nalbinded pouch made with wool yarn to match the color scheme. There is no evidence of pouches from this time period but there are socks and mittens that were done in 'the round' and very well could have been used to make pouches that did not survive.