Vigdis Ionsdottir (Vickie Lynn Johnson)
Barony of Sentinels’ Keep (Missoula, MT)
I have been a member of SCA since 2005 and have been trying to learn as much as I can about period clothing and garb construction. I recently won our Barony’s annual Arts and Sciences competition and will spend my year as champion encouraging other members in their projects and competitions. I have been Baronial Scribal officer, MoAS, and have participated in demos and have taught some classes in scribal and textile arts.
I began a project after competing in the Kingdom Arts and Sciences competition in May that I am calling “The Year of Living Norse”. My goal is to spend this year completing an authentic (as possible) Norse era outfit and accessories.
- Layer 1 Under dress (slip/chemise) Pleated (?) White handkerchief linen
- Completed except the hem and the pleating
- Layer 2 Hand Dyed Silk Tunic and Apron Dress Wool (?)
- Begun hand sewing the seams in the sleeves and the gores
- Layer 3 Caftan or Semicircle cape Linen or Wool
- Layer 4 Decorative Apron Panel
- Panel in process of decoration
- Leather shoes and pouch
- Nalbinding Socks and trims
- Woven trims/belt (?)
Photos of my original sketches (the colors are not quite right)